Friday, June 20, 2014

Whale Sharks

Dear friends, family, and other people I don't know that may read this,

I apologize for being slightly unreachable. Cell phone services seems to be lacking in the ocean. Good news though, my first HelpX host is not a serial killer! Not only is that the case, but I've had the most amazing few days here. Exmouth is a cute little town, but I will get back to that once I do some more exploring.

Whale shark boat experience:
Day 1:
    - Swam with whales sharks
    - Breaching humpback whales
    - Baby dolphins jumping out of the water
    - Sea turtles
Day 2:
    - Swam with whale sharks
    - Swam with dugongs
    - Beaching humpback whales
    - Sea snakes (yuck)
Day 3:
    - Swam with whales sharks
    - Whale sharks and mana rays feeding
    - Giant oceanic manta ray (SO BIG!)
    - Breaching humpback whales
    - Sea snakes (still gross)
    - Swam with brown whaler shark
    - Swam with dolphins
Day 4:
    One of the workers got owned by a red bell jellyfish so I had to do a bit of filling in, making sure all
    people were on board after the drops.
    - Saw some bull sharks feeding
    - Saw a couple of dugongs
    - Whale sharks galore
    - Humpback whales chillin' by the boat
    - Rescued a lady that got a mouthful of salt water and was struggling to swim

My responsibilities on the boat include washing dishes and chopping things for lunch. If something cool comes up, they tell me to drop everything and jump in the water. Not a bad deal. The business owner/captain/HelpX host is a guy named Bill who goes out of his way to make sure I'm happy and comfortable. I wasn't sure about him at first; he is certainly a man of few words, but generous to say the least. I'm not sure how long I will stay in this little town, but every day so far has been beautiful, exciting and unique. As much as I'm missing everybody, I know this is an experience I'll remember for a lifetime.





The Office:








 Sea snake















No comments:

Post a Comment