Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Back on the Murray

As all of you know, all of us girls have a special place in our heart for the Murray river. It is where our adventure started and our "Mannum family" still resides. This week I have started working on the Murray River again. I am waitressing on the Murray Princess which is the largest paddle wheeler in the Southern Hemisphere. 

The Murray Princess 


Yesterday was my first day aboard! I was very nervous leaving my comfort zone in Glengowrie but I kept telling myself it was only for a week. My schedule will be working one week, home for the next week. I had to get up at 5 and be in the city by 7 to catch a bus up to Mannum. When I arrived in Mannum I was hoping I would have time to visit everyone but I started working right away! I was a bit overwhelmed with paperwork, learning the ins-and-outs of the boat and job duties and meeting the rest of the crew. At first I was very itimidated since everyone already knew each other. I started to get nervous that I wouldn't meet anyone and I would be stuck on board miserably for the week. However, once the afternoon came and everyone was back on board and organized things started to get better. I am fortunate that my roomate is extremely nice (and also new, so we could stick together) and she is a non-smoker which I'm so thankful for since the rooms are smaller than the ones I had at cheer camp at uni. I also met another friend, Emma. She's normal, very nice and has been helping me around the ship. 

When the passangers boarded yesterday the captain advised us that it was "disability week". There are disabled people with mental illnesses aboard that make things a little difficult but most of them have care-takers that help them get ready and take their meal orders. There is also a lot of old people aboard. This one old guy makes me feel so sad for him, I brought him to his room yesterday and he told me that him and his wife used to come aboard every year for their anniversary. She passed away this year so he came anyways in memory of her. I wanted to cry when he told me that, so cute yet so sad. 

I survived my first waitressing shift at dinner last night. It goes by pretty quick and it's easy to take orders since they only have two options each night. I'm glad I don't know anyone a board because the uniforms remind me of the penguins from Mary Poppins (bow ties, large button down shirts, black skirts and stockings. Cute) After dinner I was so exhausted, Chloe (my roommate) and I took leftover desserts from dinner and brought them to our room. We were in our pjs, in bed eating dessert and watching pitch perfect by 9. I was happy that I was able to fall asleep right away from exhaustion. I woke up at 1 from the noise of the paddle wheel and was up for an hour trying to get back to sleep. 

This morning was an early (and freezing) morning starting at 6, but I survived breakfast shift. Off to lunch shift now... 


No comments:

Post a Comment