Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Sleepless in SA

After a long day of activities, you think I would be sleeping right now. However, like my dad, my stomach sometimes decides to wake me up at random times of the night and won't let me fall back to sleep until I eat something. So, hopefully this Weet Bix and Crunchy Nut cereal combo will do the trick.

The girls and I got up early this morning to get some things done while it was still cool outside. We have been pulling overgrown grass from the garden in front of the house and transplanting it to other parts of the land. Unlike New England, grass is hard to grow here since it is so dry. However, Lizzie and Mike have done a nice job planting, watering and keeping things green on their property. Today, we transplanted grass behind the dairy where it was all dirt. Since I am an instant gratification kind of person, I tend to like this job. Gardening and I have never got along before. I have no patience to plant a seed and wait a long time to see a result. But taking plants out of one place and planting it into a new location actually shows that there's progression happening, so I like that.

Soon after transplanting, we took the Ute onto the ferry and into the town of Mannum for the first time. It was also Grace's first time driving on the ferry. We had some errands to run- groceries, liquor store, post office, etc. We found out the Ute is like parking a bus but we will get used to it in time. We all made it back in one piece, so I'd say it was a very successful trip.

Once we got home, Grace was bold enough to bring Sarah and I out driving to teach us how to drive manual. She was extremely patient which is exactly what we needed. We drove around the paved track that's around the farm (we call it the Peppercrest 500). We both did well- Grace said she was surprised how well it went actually. We just need to keep practicing so it becomes second nature to us. We also decided it was a good day to wash the new Ute. I promise you, this will be the cleanest it will ever be.


we added a NH decal to the back of our Ute- only fitting

As it was getting a bit warmer, we head down to the lake to cool off. Friends of ours invited us down to their house to go out on the boat. We went wakeboarding, tubing and Sarah even tried slalom skiing again for the first time in a while- she did well!



Sarah slalom skiing




Sarah and Georgia tubeing


"Gracie, share your chips with me pleaseeee"- Jed

I've somehow inherited the nickname "wakeboard Barbie" on the Murray: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lLNVh9waFI&feature=youtu.be


When we got home, we made gyros for dinner and had a bonfire. We all felt like we had a very fun yet, productive day followed by a relaxing night.


As I'm now laying back in bed, (hearing Sarah talk in her sleep- can't wait to ask her what the hell she's dreaming about- and Grace on the verge of snoring..) I hope I can fall asleep too. We'll be getting up in 3 hours to head down to the boat to attempt barefooting. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment