Thursday, February 6, 2014

Our Lives Down Under

Lately, the girls and I have been realizing that in these past two short months that we've been here, (2 months already-WOW) we have made lives here. When we first got here, the three of us were with each other every waking (and sleeping) moment. Although we absolutely love spending time together, we were using one another as security blankets. Don't get us wrong, its amazing to have a bond like that, especially in a foreign place. However, we weren't meeting different people like we would in the States because we would stick to our clan.

Last weekend was the first time all of us parted ways and did our own thing. Grace went down to Tinty to spend the weekend with Grant, Sarah stayed in Mannum with Brad, and I went to Goolwa Beach with Ryan. We all had an amazing time doing our own thing, meeting new people and embracing our independence. When we all got back home, it was nice to sit around and share the different things we did.

As it was the hottest weekend yet (reaching almost 120 degrees F). Ryan and I went down to Goolwa Beach where its usually a bit cooler. I met a lot of new great people, tried body boarding  & enjoyed cookouts and sunsets. On Monday, we went hiking up Mt. Lofty, which had great waterfalls, rivers and views of Adelaide. On Tuesday, we went to the Adelaide Central Market which was unlike I've ever seen before. There was a ton of fresh produce stands, fresh cheeses, butchers, and of course our favorite- the chocolate fountain. The market is outside of China Town which was also really interesting to drive through. I meant to take pictures because it was really amazing but I was too busy talking- shocker. On Tuesday night I had to fill in for one of Ryan's team members at Lawn Bowls. Lawn Bowls is a very... interesting.. Australian sport. It's kind of like bocce but not. The ball has a weight in it so you have to contemplate for the curve of the ball. The object of the game is to get your ball closest to the one on the other side of the field. It sounds easy but its quite unique. I will completely understand if they never invite me back to fill in again.. sorry again boys for the loss.  




As we continue to plan for our journey around the country starting in March, we are so happy and thankful to be surrounded by great people, doing new things and just living life.

No comments:

Post a Comment