Saturday, March 8, 2014

Observations.

While in Australia we have been noticing things that are different from in the states... Here are a few: 

It's socially exceptable for people to walk in public barefoot. Gas stations, grocery stores, anywhere... There's atleast one person barefoot everywhere we go. And no one questions them or even looks twice... 

Tolls: Although Connecticut is a toll free state, I've been through my fair share of tolls in Massachusetts and New Hampshire to know how they operate. Either you have an EZ pass or you stop and pay the amount displayed miles ahead. However, Australia just has a sign that says "toll station"... No amount displayed, toll booths, nothing. So Grace asked Mike what the deal was. He said that you either have to buy a pass for about $18 to drive on that piece of highway for a day (1. Expensive wow 2. Who knows where to buy that?!?). If you neglect to buy a pass, they send you home a bill. Liz and Mike, we will be getting a bill to the po box.. Just let it know when it comes.

Highway signs: at home everything is labeled... Example "New York City" with an arrow. Here, it's just labeled "City"... Like hopefully you know what city you're about to enter because they're sure not telling you.. 



Marketing: as a marketing major I've noticed huge differences. The biggest one is the cigarette packs. They have pictures of what could happen if you smoke. The pictures are morbid but effective. Also, this iced coffee bottle... Love this. 


Also: hands free bathrooms (I think I mentioned this in another post... As a prior germ aphobe I like this. And commercials on hand driers in the bathroom... Creative marketing. 



There's much more but I clearly have some iced coffee to finish before I can think of what else... 

No comments:

Post a Comment